Friday 27 January 2012

Warrior Heroes - Tried it out for the first time.

Had my first ever game of Warrior Heroes last night at the club. Was very interesting. I have not really tried any rule sets which use a "reaction" system as such. Well one as controlling as the Warrior Heroes Armies and Adventures one. That is for sure.

The game was simple. Three hastily put togather warbands, attempting to sally forth from a city to wipe out some beseiging enemy artillery. In this case, some undead screaming skull catapults.

I dug out my D&D pre painted plastics to play the part of an Elf warband. All Rep5. Four Archers, two sword and shields and one healer with a bow on and my Hero of course.

The other two war bands were humans and dwarfs. The game started well enough. Then I moved, my band forward and promptly got a reaction test from a PEF or possible enemy force marker. The result, my archers stood and shot. My warriors piled in recklessly!

This was the start of a trend. well sort of. The humans and dwarfs then got stuck in, but my band got whittle down, as I lost one archer Dead, and one OOF.
The skeleton arhcers and warriors thankfully didn't manage to kill my hero or my warriors, before some of the skele's got drawn into other fights.

For a short while an almost grande mele broke out, but the dwarfs, charged on with some human berserk and made it o the trench line. Just as my hero finished off the last of the initial skeletons warriors. Then the artillery fired for the second time, the first having gone wide somewhere.
The deviation, meant it clouted my hero and a pants roll of the dice by me and a good one by the evil GM/monster player Colin, meant it was curtains for the brave elven hero! Splat!

Oh well, my remaining war band members, fought on, the healer helping support the human shield wall and rescuing one human as he went down to a mounted skeleton. This was short lived however, as the following round both he and the human were promptly killed.

Over the in the earthwork trenches, the Mr Big-Bad, the undead has stepped up to the dwarfs only to discover his trenches were not wide enough to allow an out numbering bonus and so, dwarf ve Mr Bad, came down to a slugging fest. One in which the Dwarf prevailed.

About now we started to worry about the dreaded reinforcement roll, and knew that any moments the undead could get more help. So as the elves and humans on the hill top tried to wipe out the lastof the undead cavalry the dwarfs piled through the trench, taking out one then the other of the war machines at last.

Just at the final roll of activation the bad guys got their double needed to bring in the reinforcements.. but but them, it was done, the siege engines were dead, Mr Big-Bad undead was down and destroyed and the survivors were hell bent on getting back to the city for beer and biscuits..


All in all a fun game.

What did I think of of WH:AA .. hmmm well.. its ok. I try and make sure I don't settle my mind on a rule set till I have played around three games as a whole.
I can see why it does things it does, but I think the randomality is a tiny bit hi on the reactions.. Its a rule set i was considering for my own fantasy campaign, and will try a game or two more but I am more likley to go with my home brew rules I think.

I will however try and get another game in. Some things we learnt.. Snori the dwarf is a killing machine! Infact, dwarfs are killing machines. Screaming skulls hurt. Shields are a must.. everyone must have a shield.. its just that simple!
Magic is risky. There is never enough loot and out numbering is always good if you have the numbers.



No comments: